A blog which collects my thoughts while serving my National Services.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Bookout and the New Year

Before I know it, it has been 3 weeks since I was enlisted. How fast; how fast. Coming week will marks the end of my PTP and the start of BMT in full swing. They say that PTP is generally more spaced out. I don’t feel so. I had my arms presentations after Christmas, and will be doing some introduction of Marksmanship after the long weekend.

Having said 3 weeks into enlistment, I must add that there are already 4 OOT in my section. We made a goal in being the best section, and we did. Generally there are only about 10 people in the bunk. Two of the OOT had been transferred to the Mass. Very soon, there will be only 9 people in the bunk. That is not very good news as it means there’s more area cleaning per person to cover.

The first 2 weeks were fine, but from the period of Christmas to today, its not been so good. I had fall out for the AGR and the Strength Training for the past 2 days, due to flu. The fall out rate after the road march was really astonishing. 16 and I believe 2 blank file.

The OC were pretty upset about what happened and he delays our booking out yesterday. Somehow, the people in the company don’t really learn the lesson.

"I read somewhere how important it is in life not to necessarily be strong but to feel strong; To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions..."

I’ve been holding the above words in my heart for the past 3 weeks, but right now, with the flu, I don’t feel strong nor am strong. In fact, I feel weak and unable. I thought of the SOC, and I wonder, really deep wonder if I can even complete it, let alone complete it in the given timing.

I don’t really aspire to be commander of any kind, though it is good, but still, I have problem passing my IPPT to begin with. Well, at least I am indeed measuring myself. I take this whole BMT as a training for Project Immorality – my backpacking plans.

Taking one day at a time – When I first met my bunkmates, we had a somehow common goal which it towards the end of the year. We made it, or at least, most of us made it. With my last fall out, it only leave my buddy Wei Jie being the only person who had been participating in all the activities. I am really blessed to have a self-motivated buddy. If not for the danger of collapses in run (with a cold) I would love to run alongside with him.

I will be booking in at 2030 later in the evening. A one and the half days stay, which will lead me to a 3 days long weekend. I am very much looking forward to it. Something to look forward to everyday.

It is indeed sad to say that we are all only looking forward to dinner and booking out. What had happened to the youth today. Perhaps it is something for the better, simplicity; ‘most ancient of human conditions’

Wish me well and please pray for me. Please do wear more warm clothes as the weather is turning rather chilly.

Till my next book out!

No comments: